This blog post will go through How to screenshot on Chromebook and screen record. It is a simple process, but it can be hard for some people to figure out how to do so. We will discuss how to use the Chrome OS Screen Capture feature and how you can capture your entire desktop using keyboard shortcuts.
How do I record the screen on Chromebook?
The process of how to screen record on Chromebook is fairly simple and easy, but it does depend upon the model of your computer. If you have a Chromebook that has an HDMI port or USB-C port then there are ways how to do this easily with tools such as [Gimp]. GIMP stands for GNU Image Manipulation Program, and record screen on Chromebooks with a USB-C port.
GIMP allows you to choose your webcam as the source of input in order how to do this task. You can also use [Screencastify], which is an extension for Chrome that enables recording everything in your browser window. This way you can screen record on Chromebook is pretty straightforward.
Once how to do this task with Screencastify, you’ll be able to see your entire browser window and everything that’s happening inside of it. You can also choose whether or not you want the cursor included in the recording.
The screen can be captured in 2 ways: Either by using the keyboard shortcuts or by utilizing screen capture.
Related: Split Screen on Chromebook
1- Keyboard Shortcut
Using a keyboard shortcut to screen record on Chromebook is the simplest way. We will take how to use it as an example, then you can do like this:
- Open Google Chrome Browser and go to any website that allows screenshots (e.g., Imgur). If possible, open your browser in fullscreen mode.
- Now press the following keyboard shortcuts:
- Ctrl + Shift + (Plus Sign) – This will open up a new tab for you to draw on. It should look like a yellow rectangle with crosshairs inside it.
- Ctrl + Shift + (Minus Sign) – This will take the screenshot.
After taking a screenshot, it’ll save it to your “Downloads” folder in Google Chrome. You can then access this file by going to Files > Downloads below the address bar of all open tabs for easy uploading and sharing on social media sites like Twitter or Facebook.
2- Screen Capture
The second method is how to use the “screen capture” function of the Chromebook. If you’re not sure how it works, we will take a look at how it’s done below:
- Go to your browser and open up any website that allows screenshots (e.g., Imgur).
- Open your browser in fullscreen mode.
- Now click on the following keyboard shortcuts:
- Ctrl + (Plus Sign) – This will start recording a video of how you navigate through the webpage and take screenshots. It should look like a red circle with an arrow pointing up inside it. Also, note that any videos or screenshots you take will be saved to your “Downloads” folder.
- Ctrl + (Minus Sign) – This stops recording and saves the video/screenshots that were taken while it was running. They should also save to your Downloads folder, but we recommend closing all tabs before viewing any videos or screenshots because they can get pretty large in size.
Capturing an image from your Chromebook Display
Chromebooks are basically laptops, so how do you capture an image from your Chromebook display? You can use the same methods that work on any laptop. One way is to press Print Screen (or PrtScn) + Ctrl + V at the same time. This will copy a screenshot of your screen onto the clipboard. Then open up an image editing program, select Paste, and save the screenshot. Another way is to press Ctrl + F12 at the same time. This will take a screenshot of your Chromebook display and copy it directly onto your clipboard without needing any further steps or programs.
Capturing video content from Chromebook
Capturing video content from Chromebook is very easy and straightforward, you just need to use the right tools. To capture your screen on a Chromebook, there are some simple steps that you must follow:
- Open the “Google Chrome” browser
- Visit an external website where you can find how to record video tutorials or how-to videos (e.g., YouTube)
- Play the video you want to capture and tap on “More” > “Cast…”
- Tap on your Chromecast device name
- Toggle from full-screen mode by tapping on it again or clicking outside of the video area.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+S together (Command + Shift + S on Mac) which will open the browser “Cast” menu.
- Click on the Chromecast device name and select how you want to record your screen (e.g., Desktop, Screen tab, or Audio in Chrome tab). You can also choose between full-screen mode or custom region by clicking on it again once done recording. Now click on “Record” to record your video.
Note: Not all Chromebook apps support screen recording, Only certain Chromebooks have the functionality of running Android Apps, so not every app on your phone will be available for your Chromebook. If your phone app supports screen recording, it may or may not be available for use on the Chromebook version of that same app.
How do I record a Chromebook screen without audio?
There are no specific instructions on how to record on a Chromebook without sound. It is due to the fact that all recordings will be saved with an audio track by default unless you decide otherwise when recording your screencast. If you want to remove the sound from a recorded video, just press the Mute key while capturing it using any of the available tools for this purpose.
How do I stop screen recording on Chromebook?
Click the “Stop Recording” button from your Chromebook screen. You should see a red square on the lower right corner of your computer display with how long you have been recording for. If there is still time left, it will show how much more time before stopping. If you want to stop immediately, click the button and it will turn into a gray square.
The same goes for how do I start screen recording on Chromebook. Make sure that your microphone is turned on before continuing with this process because some Chromebooks use voice activation which means it only records if there is sound detected. If your computer does not have a microphone, you might consider getting one.
Related: Chromebook Hacks 2022
Troubleshoot screen recording problems on Chromebook
How to Troubleshoot screen recording problems on Chromebook?. There are two main reasons why these issues can occur:
If the app is crashing when launching into record mode, if there appears a message “Crash” or similar when attempting to start screen capture through an application launch menu (in Chrome or other apps).
If you cannot Start/Stop screen recording on Chromebook, if the button to start recording is greyed out. Troubleshoot these issues by following some simple steps below:
To Troubleshoot the “Can’t Start Screen Recording” problem, please follow these steps:
- Step #01. Make sure you have enabled Developer Mode
- Step #02. Troubleshoot the “Can’t Start Screen Recording” issue by running the screen recording command in the Chrome OS terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T)
- Step #03. Troubleshoot the “Can’t Start Screen Recording” issue by using the Crouton/Terminal method (for Troubleshooting “Can’t Start Screen Recording” issue)